Mother Nature, planet Earth, gave us our power, our life, our energy. Ideally, we learn and teach fidelity for the land. We are to take care of the planet and to take care of the body that birthed us. It is everything to us. Take care. Do not destroy it. Do not turn your back on it. That is taking dominion. Gregge Tiffen (Mother Nature – May, 2007)
Years ago when I lived in the city, it was an effort to escape the concrete jungle and put myself in the woods or on the beach of the Gulf of Mexico. I always preferred the woods. After an interim move to a small canyon on the West Texas plains, I now find myself at home in the quiet woods of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Here appreciation, gratitude, and love for nature and for my physical body grow.
Here I am nourished by what my five senses take in:
- The distinguished song of the meadowlark and the gentle sounds of Cottonwood Creek as she flows down the mountain and through the foothills
- The beauty of snow-capped peaks by day and clear, vast starry sky by night
- The solid, yet uneven earth under my feet and chill of the morning air on my cheeks
- The freshness of the earth and the pines after a rain
- The flavors of produce fresh from a friend’s garden or greenhouse and of pine pitch when my hand is sticky and I lick to clean it
Here I notice how my senses work together: sight and touch keeping me upright as I walk on rocky trails.
Here my ‘sense’ beyond my senses becomes more known. I deepen my connection to the earth and come to know her as the source that sustains me. I aim for my choices to reflect this knowing.
Here I take care of the earth and of this vehicle that consciousness has chosen for the ride this sojourn.
Here as I plant the seeds that know they are carrots, beets, beans, and squash, I scatter seeds reflecting what I know about the Universe and what I’m curious about.
And, here knowing now what I didn’t know when I lived in the city, I see that I can honor Mother Nature, planet Earth, my true family wherever in the world I find myself.
I invite you to join me in the experiment to embrace the dominion we were given. In the weeks ahead, wherever you are, take time to notice and honor the ground that you walk on. See, hear, feel, smell, taste the planet that is your home. Remember that you are not separate from her indeed you are integral part of the play.
Learn your lines and play your part well.